Monday, November 16, 2009

'Mon Amie La Rose' (Francoise Hardy)

And then there are those story songs, that move like water, encompassing anything and everything in one theme. In this case, mortality. One thing we all know is that everything comes and goes, there's a beginning and an end to it all. In the words of Robert Frost, "nothing gold can stay":

Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay

+++

So Francoise sings about a rose telling her the meaning of life in 'Mon Amie La Rose' echoing that idea of finality, and how it all went by so fast, and all those things that seemed so important are no longer. Makes me want to rethink whatever I am stressed about, that's for sure :)

We are truly insignificant
And that's what my friend the rose
Told me this morning

I was born at dawn
Baptised in dew
I blossomed
In the rays of the sun
Happy and in love
I closed my petals at night
And when I awoke I was old.
Yet I had been beautiful
Yes, I was the most beautiful
Of all the flowers in your garden

See, the God that made me
Now makes me bow my head
And I feel I'm falling
And I feel I'm falling
My heart is almost bare
I have a foot in my grave
Already I am nothing
You admired me only yesterday
And I shall be dust
Forever, tomorrow

We are truly insignificant
And my friend the rose
Died this morning

Last night the moon
Kept vigil over my friend
And in a dream I saw
Her soul, dancing
Dazzling and naked,
Above the heavens,
Smiling on me.
Let those who can, believe
But I need Hope
Or else I am nothing