Tuesday, November 17, 2009

If Music Be The Food Of Love

So the title of this blog comes from a song by Henry Purcell (1659-1695??) that is so incredibly beautiful in melody and words, a perfect marriage of the two I think. This person is simply bewitched, and the music also betrays this kind of magical feeling of total vulnerability I think. Doesn't it make you want to dress up and have some sort of feast? By candlelight only??

If music be the food of love,
sing on sing on

sing on sing on

till I am fill'd with joy;
for then my list'ning soul you move
with pleasures that can never cloy,
your eyes, your mien, your tongue declare
that you are music ev'rywhere.

Pleasures invade both eye and ear,
so fierce the transports are, they wound,
and all my senses feasted are,
tho' yet the treat is only sound.
Sure I must perish by our charms,
unless you save me in your arms.